Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Some Classic Fistycuffs

So while Mike, the Ranger Pundit, is soon off to Mexico for the marriage of number 2 son, we'll relax with some classic brawls courtesy of the GoonBlog:

First up an ECHL middleweight bout, Ken Tasker (red jersey) vs. Trevor Senn (in the white). Richmond Renegades vs. Toledo Storm, March 13, 1999.


The fight in the words of Ken Tasker:
Well first of all I just want to say Trevor Senn is one of the reasons I ended up playing professional hockey. My rookie pro season I was up in Thunder Bay in the United Hockey League. We ended up going down to Winston, Salem. This little guy bumps into me and I look at him like “what you wanna go?” He looks up at me with these bloodshot eyes and just starts losing his mind. We had a pretty decent scrap and I skated back to our bench after serving my time. One of the vets beside me said “Good job kid, you’re gonna make the team for sure”. I said “You think coach will be mad at me because I fought a guy smaller then me?” He looked at me in shock and said “Kid that’s Trevor Senn he’s the leading PIM leader from the ECHL.” Pretty much every time we played against each other over the years after that, we both knew we were gonna go. So that fight you see on here, I knew he was coming into town the next night and I was so wired I could hardly sleep. My family was in town, and in front of my home crowd, I really wanted to put on a good show, and I knew it would be a battle with him. So that fight was of days of pent up anxiety. In warm-up we were eyeing each other a few times as we skated around. I said to him “So we gonna go tonight?” He said “Yep let’s give them a show”. Off the face off, we both agreed to head to center ice. He was doing the elbow cranks and what not on the way there. The one thing I remember the most about this fight was that I was thinking to myself (when I was punching him): I am hitting this guy as hard and as fast as I can and he’s not dropping. It was like hitting a wooden post and it just wouldn’t budge. The final part of the fight I got some combos going and some rhythm and was lucky enough to end up putting him down. It was fantastic for me, because I was the home town guy and my folks were there too.
Next an IHL bout, Darcy Hordichuk (in white) vs. “Mad” Mel Angelstad, Orlando Solar Bears vs. Manitoba Moose, Nov. 11, 2000. The scorecard.


---
ICINGS:
Regarding the Rangers fight card for last season.

via HockeyFights.com:
2007-2008 Regular Season Fighting Majors Leaders ...
  1. Colton Orr -- 18
  2. Brandon Dubinsky -- 7
  3. Sean Avery -- 6
  4. Ryan Hollweg -- 6
  5. Jason Strudwick -- 4
  6. Marc Staal -- 2
  7. Ryan Callahan -- 1
  8. Chris Drury -- 1
  9. Brendan Shanahan -- 1
  10. Fedor Tyutin -- 1
Total: 47 fights
2007-2008 Rangers Postseason had no fights.
The 2006-07 season had 35 fights.

With the departures of Avery, Hollweg, etc., who will pick up the slack this coming season? Who does not think the Rangers will be softer? The stats say that 38.46% of NHL games during the 2007-08 season had a fight.



Related Articles by Categories


0 comments:

New York Rangers (@NYRangers) | Twitter

NHL Network (@NHLNetwork) | Twitter

NHL on TNT (@NHL_On_TNT) | Twitter

The Hockey Writers (@TheHockeyWriter) | Twitter

Blueshirt Banter (@BlueshirtBanter) | Twitter

NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) | Twitter

Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) | Twitter

NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) | Twitter

Stephen Valiquette (@VallysView) | Twitter